I have yet to fix it all together using machine screws or rivets but one thing I noticed is how hard it is to snap the lid onto the bucket. I doubt it will be easy to take on and off to dump out the husk, which I imagine I'll do regularly (partially to re-run the stuff back through the winnower if the valves aren't set right).
Is this the case with Sylph or does the lid come off easy?
I was thinking about drilling a large hole in the bucket at the bottom of one of the sides so I could dump out the husk without removing the lid. Then I would plug the hole with something like a large rubber stopper.
Post by cacaosublime on Oct 19, 2017 0:51:11 GMT -5
I've got the same problem with my DIY winnower. I use a bucket that was formerly used to hold tennis balls, and it has a lid that is very tight (makes you wonder how they put those tennis balls in and out all the time), it requires quite some force to get it off. Your solution sounds fine, I'm thinking the main thing is to make sure it is airtight, which a rubber stopper would do. It would mean you would be shaking around your complete winnower to get all the husk and nib out, something to consider.
I was thinking of modifying the lid such that it loses the tight grip, and let the underpressure take over the function of pulling the lid down on to the bucket, so that no vacuum is lost. Maybe have some rubber or other material to help ensure that this modification is airtight. Haven't thought it through completely yet, but this is the concept floating around in my head at the moment. My design doesn't have all of the tubing resting on the bucket. But maybe your solution could work for me as well, I'll give it a think.
I have no experience with the Sylph
Maybe not a definitive answer, but just thought I share my thoughts on the subject.
Post by adrianwalton on Oct 19, 2017 16:52:06 GMT -5
cacaosublime: I think the problem is that I used a paint-bucket lid (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-11-9-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/3689756), which is meant to be super tight. I went to my local hardware store today and noticed that they have lids that snap on much easier (https://www.lowes.ca/buckets/encore-plastics-12-in-snap-on-bucket-lid_g1309089.html).
Using a Dremel I'm first going to try grind down the plastic of my current lid so that less plastic has to "snap" over the ridge on the bucket. If that doesn't work then I'm going to try this different lid. I'll update this thread once I've tried the first (and possibly the second) approach.
Post by adrianwalton on Oct 31, 2017 18:18:38 GMT -5
I was able to greatly improve how easy it is to remove and reattach my winnower bucket lid. The outer rim of my bucket lid came notched to create something like flaps. I used a Dremel to make the notches deeper so the flaps would move easier. I also use a Dremel to grind down the plastic "hook" on the inner part of the lid rim so that less has to snap over the ridge of the bucket. Sorry, not easy to explain in words. Never the less it made a huge difference and my winnow is working as expected. Yay!
I made a DIY winnower based on John's design, and while it works well enough, I have found my shop vac slightly under-powered. I usually have to run my nibs through a few times, but I get about 70-72% recovery most times. Afterward, I take the whole thing outside, reverse the hose on the shop vac, and blow it all off. After running a whole bunch of beans through this thing, I'm thinking about something more eficient, especially since I'm considering a commercial venture. I'm not sure what I want to do, but I know I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on some of the rattrap contraptions I've seen at some places. What is everyone else using? Just curious..
The funnel reduces the amount of air being sucked in through the nib-feeding hole and strengthens the amount of air being sucked up through the nib exit hole, which is what you want to pull up the husks into the bucket.
Post by cacaosublime on Dec 12, 2017 6:29:51 GMT -5
It sounds like you don't want to look for improvements on your current DIY winnower? I have a DIY winnower based on John's design, and although I have run only a few batches through it, I get a very good first pass recovery (77-78%, I only need one pass), and my vac is only set to 60% suction power.
Your recovery rate seems quite low (could be the specific type of bean you are using), so I'm assuming you are getting nibs in your husk. But you also need a few passes, which I assume is because you get husk in your nibs. These two combined would lead me to believe you might be able to get better results with some tweaking or modification on your current winnower. I would be willing to try and help you here, although that's quite a challenge if I can't see it in operation But can always try